Current:Home > NewsCharles Langston:Angelina Jolie takes opera role in 'Maria' after an ex was 'not kind to' her about her singing -Keystone Capital Education
Charles Langston:Angelina Jolie takes opera role in 'Maria' after an ex was 'not kind to' her about her singing
Robert Brown View
Date:2025-04-06 17:39:06
Angelina Jolie is Charles Langstonfinding her voice.
The "Maleficent" star, 49, spoke with The Hollywood Reporter in an interview published Friday about starring as opera singer Maria Callas in the buzzy new biopic "Maria," which premiered Thursday at the Venice Film Festival. Jolie revealed she was nervous to sing in the movie after an ex made her question her musical abilities.
"It was an out-of-body experience because I don't sing," she shared. "I had somebody in my life who was not kind to me about singing. It was a relationship I was in. And so I just assumed I couldn't really sing."
She continued, "I'd been to theater school, so it was weird that it even had an effect on me. I just kind of adapted to this person's opinion. So it took me getting past a lot of things to start singing."
Jolie did not name the ex in question. She worked on "Maria" with director Pablo Larraín, who is known for directing Natalie Portman in the Jacqueline Kennedy biopic "Jackie" and Kristen Stewart in the Princess Diana biopic "Spencer." Both Portman and Stewart received Oscar nominations for the performances.
Need a break? Play the USA TODAY Daily Crossword Puzzle.
Angelina Joliewalks Tony Awards red carpet with daughter Vivienne Jolie-Pitt: See the photos
In a press conference Thursday at the Venice Film Festival, Jolie shared that she was "terribly nervous" to sing in "Maria" and spent "almost seven months" training to do so.
"My first time singing, I remember being so nervous," she recalled. "My sons were there, and they helped to block the door (so) that nobody else was coming in. I was shaky. ... I was frightened to live up to her, and I had not sung in public."
Angelina Jolieopens up about Brad Pitt divorce, how 'having children saved me'
But Jolie, who previously won the Academy Award for best supporting actress for "Girl, Interrupted," has already been receiving Oscar buzz for the role. A video shared on social media by Variety showed the actress getting emotional during a standing ovation at Venice that reportedly lasted eight minutes.
When asked about the Oscar talk during the Venice press conference on Thursday, Jolie said her main concern was impressing fans of Callas and opera in general.
"My fear would be to disappoint them," she said, adding, "I didn't want to do a disservice to this woman."
In the interview with The Hollywood Reporter, Jolie also suggested she will leave Los Angeles when her children are older.
"I am here because I have to be here from a divorce, but as soon as they're 18, I'll be able to leave," she said. "When you have a big family, you want them to have privacy, peace, safety. I have a house now to raise my children, but sometimes this place can be … that humanity that I found across the world is not what I grew up with here."
veryGood! (22)
Related
- Paula Abdul settles lawsuit with former 'So You Think You Can Dance' co
- Severe storms rake Indiana and Kentucky, damaging dozens of structures
- Kylie Kelce Mourns Death of Her and Jason Kelce’s Beloved Dog Winnie
- Severe storms rake Indiana and Kentucky, damaging dozens of structures
- Macy's says employee who allegedly hid $150 million in expenses had no major 'impact'
- Michael Jackson’s Son Bigi “Blanket” Jackson’s Rare Outing Will Make You Feel Old
- Man shot with his own gun, critically wounded in fight aboard New York City subway, police say
- Stock market today: Asian markets retreat after data dash hopes that a US rate cut is imminent
- A South Texas lawmaker’s 15
- Manhattan D.A. says he does not oppose a 30-day delay of Trump's hush money trial
Ranking
- Have Dry, Sensitive Skin? You Need To Add These Gentle Skincare Products to Your Routine
- Why John Legend Called Fellow The Voice Coaches Useless After This Battle Rounds Performance
- SpaceX's Starship lost, but successful in third test: Here's what happened in past launches
- James Crumbley, father of Oxford High School shooter, found guilty of involuntary manslaughter
- IRS recovers $4.7 billion in back taxes and braces for cuts with Trump and GOP in power
- Why Dr. Terry Dubrow Says He Will Definitely Give Ozempic Another Try
- Brooklyn district attorney won’t file charges in New York City subway shooting
- The Best Cooling Sheets to Keep You Comfy & Sweat-Free, All Night Long
Recommendation
Nearly half of US teens are online ‘constantly,’ Pew report finds
New censorship report finds that over 4,000 books were targeted in US libraries in 2023
'My sweet little baby': Georgia toddler fatally shot while watching TV; police search for suspects
Atlantic Shores offshore wind farm in New Jersey would have 157 turbines and be 8.4 miles from shore
Woman dies after Singapore family of 3 gets into accident in Taiwan
Georgia Labor Commissioner Bruce Thompson says he has pancreatic cancer
Travis Kelce and Patrick Mahomes Teaming Up for Delicious New Business
Republicans push back on new federal court policy aimed at ‘judge shopping’ in national cases